Friday, April 6, 2012

Crazy day torn right out of a fairtale..

 what if this was right outside your front door? Would you think that the aliens had finally arrived?!

Let me set the scenario of this past Wednesday evening. It was about 5 o'clock and everything was "Johnson house normal", meaning, kids were running around playing, Grandma Karen was doing my laundry, Morgan was just about home from work and my body was tired, so I laid down for a quick nap in the guest room.  A few minutes later, Morgan popped his head in to let me know he was home from work. then he said, "Come out front and see something really neat" I groaned and slowly rose to my feet. Following him out the front door, I was greeted with the above site...
 What in the world!? A HOT AIR BALLOON IN OUR COUL DE SAC?!
 Will wasn't so sure of the whole idea, so he was sitting on an electric box in the distance.
 I walked up close and jumped when the flames started....loud and hot!
All the neighbors were ooohing and ahhhing over the huge balloon. Then they turned to me and said, "Christa, do you want to ride in a hot air balloon?"   WHAT? I was still torn between seeing the balloon and going to hang out with Will at a safe range. But I turned and looked at all the neighbors faces and my kids and hubby encouraging me and said, "sure." knowing full well that my two greatest fears in life are balloons and heights. hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

But off we went, leaving everyone behind...........
 Here is my house from the air......
 .......our coul-de-sac
 And this was the only time I looked straight down because it gave me too much virtigo.
 higher...........

                                     .............and higher............

                             ...................and higher!
 It was so surreal, and even calm, though I was holding on sooooo tight to the ropes and very aware that I could fall at any second if I jumped out!
 And, eventually we had to find a place to land. so we had to go wherever the wind took us....

 ......and our "chasers" just had to chase us down. Here are my kiddos running across the street to catch up with the balloon.
 whew! Back on solid ground again!!!!!! Thank you Mike Smith and pals for the experience of a lifetime! My family will never forget it!

 oh my, I love my "chasers". (side note: Lund was sooooooo mad he missed the event, but he was at a friends house)
 time to bring the aircraft down.................

 The kids LOVED to help!
What an amazing experience for all involved! thank you! thank you! thank you! I guess it was worth missing a nap over! (just this once!)

2 comments:

Jeremy and Ruth said...

Fly that pupper over to logan! :) I think i will skip a few naps for that!! :)

Bonnie Hynes said...

What the?!?!? Random acts of AMAZINGNESS!!!! We don't ever have to worry about you guys being well taken care of!