Monday, August 8, 2011

Cancer update..... Two ER visits in three days means A LOT of waiting!!

I am going to throw in a cancer update for ya. Last week, about Wednesday, I started having stomach problems that would come on suddenly and hurt really bad across my whole stomach and my mid-back. By Friday night, the pain was constant and quite dibilitating. I woke Morgan up at 2am and we headed to the Mayo Hospital deep in the heart of Phoenix. We decided to go there because I am currently in their medical trial for my chemo meds. It wasn't a great experience because I had to drink 48oz of iodine mixed with Crystal Light before they would take a CT scan of my abdomen. And let me tell you....IT WAS NASTY!!! I will never drink Crystal Light again! And, if I threw up, I had to start over, so I was trying really hard not to. After a few hours of waiting, they came up with a solution...... I needed to poop! Seriously!!! I told them that I didn't need to, but they said that all the pain would go away if I just had a bowel movement. They also said that the CT scan showed that I had gall stones, but that they weren't the problem. I felt a little bit like an idiot. I mean, even my five-year-old knows how to have a successful bowel movement. We left feeling a little bit depressed and very tired. (We were at the ER all night long).  Saturday was ok, but I just slept the whole day and didn't really eat anything. But, just to be good and follow their instructions, I did a few enemas to "clear myself out", and I waited for the "feeling great" to come along.
   I woke up on Sunday morning at 4am with excruciating pain again in my stomach and back. I decided to let Morgan get some sleep, so I didn't wake him until 7am to let him know what was going on. We called my on-call Oncologist and he said to get to the ER. He told us we had to go to the Banner Hospital on Dobson Rd., which isn't our favorite.  Needless to say, it was another long day (7 hours) in the ER. They took more CT scans of my abdomen  and kept me on pain meds and antinausea meds. Let me just tell you that the ER was PACKED!!! I mean, like watching the ER show kind of  packed! There were policemen and fireman and Ambulence people everywhere. There were patients getting out of hand and security all over the place. There were people waiting in the hallways and patients on beds in the hallways as well. Luckily, I am a cancer patient so I get my own room with a door that shuts...wahoo!! So, after 7 hours of waiting, the end result was....... Nothing! They can't see anything abnormal on the CT scan, so they don't know what to do. Soooooooo, they sent me home with pain meds. The doctor also said, " I don't know what you are talking about, there aren't any gallstones in your gallbladder." Hummmmmmmmm. 
    So we left knowing.........well, nothing.
Here is what I think....
   A) could the gallstone issue be over now?
   B) I had a *blessing in the ER from Morgan and a man we found in the hallway (don't worry, he had the priesthood) and I started feeling better after that....hummmmmmmmm.

I guess we should just count our blessings and hope that the pain doesn't come back. Time to go to bed, tomorrow morning I have to be at Mayo Clinic for a PET scan and an MRI to see if the clinical trial is successful. Pray for us!

*For those of you not of our faith, a "priesthood blessing" is a special prayer straight from our Heavenly Father given by men who are worthy to hold the priesthood. The priesthood is the Lord's power on the Earth to bless, heal, and give comfort to anyone who is in need. What a wonderful thing it is!!  For more information on my religion, stop some of those adorable boys riding their bikes around in suits, they have a lot of answers.

Well, I love you all and just wanted to give you an update.


Jennie said...

Thanks for the update! I wonder about you so much! XOXO!

LUND said...

Reading about it is easier than living it. But we are glad to can be an associate in this cancer update.

Bonnie Hynes said...

Good luck this week. Love you and think of you at least 5000 times a day!

Despain Family said...

We're praying for you. Let us know the results of your PET scan and if the ward can help in any way.

Anonymous said...

Christa, that is so like you to take every opportunity to share the gospel and think of those who may not know the blessings it brings.
Love, Mom Johnson

Farr Family said...

Christa you are so strong! I love reading your blog because I get so much strength, hope, love , and blessing from being able to peak in on your family's journey. Much love from St Johns!!