Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An update from the Johnson's....

So................ here's what's going on at our house.....
Today was THE appointment to find out if the chemo medicine I have been taking for 6 months has been working. Well, results are in and it's a bomb. The Xeloda isn't working at all. The cancer isn't spreading extremely fast, but it is spreading in my lungs, around my heart, and I have a new tumor in my stomach that wasn't there three months ago.
Good news: It isn't in my liver. It is staying in my "soft tissue" and I guess that is a good thing.
Next plan: They are taking me off the Xeloda (obviously). And I will be starting a new regiment of an ovary supressant shot once a month and a pill once a day called an aromatese inhibitor. This will stop the production of any estrogen in my body and throw me into a "premature medical menopause". Hooray for menopause!! he he he.
Other good news: The side effects to these medicines aren't as bad as the chemo meds I have been taking so I will pretty much feel "normal" most of the time.

That's all I have to say about that. I was pretty sure the medicine wasn't working, but it was a bummer to get it confirmed by the PET scan. No matter. I told the oncologist that I plan on living a few more decades or so and watching my kids grow up and have their own children. He said that he would try his best to make that happen. I told him that I wanted it in writting and that he should sign it and it should have a "money back guarantee".  He thought that was pretty funny, yet he didn't sign any contracts....bummer!!

And in other awesome news: Yesterday I was the "Guest of Honor" at the 4th Annual Base for the Cure at Dobson High. One of my old softball coaches is the Varsity coach there and he started this program four years ago. All the girls wear pink and they have special shirts for the coaches. Then they donate all the proceeds from the donations of the game to the American Cancer Association. Pretty cool! They treated me like a star and it was soooo much fun!
After the game, the Dobson High dance team performed a dance to the song, "I will survive". They were really amazing!

After the game, both of the teams met in the field for a picture shot with me included!
And here is Coach Hill who coached me about 15 or 20 years ago. Crazy how time flies! Back then he was a police officer that coached on the side and now he has retired from the force and is a high school teacher and coach. Maybe someday Morgan will be rich enough to retire and become a teacher. He he he!
In other news.. We have a really sick kiddo. Lund has had a temp of 104 today and has been diagnosed with Influenza A. He is on strong medications and a breathing machine, but so far he hasn't been able to keep the meds down. Darn! And they want me on meds too because his doc said that I can't get the flu. So, I will be calling my oncologist tomorrow and starting Tamiflu.
   I think that is all the news from our house today. Thanks again for all your love and support!!

8 comments:

Melody B. said...

I love you. I love that in the midst of news you were not hoping for you seek out the positive and the good. I'm SO SO SO sorry that the chemo wasn't working. Hopefully this new medicine will do the job! :) And to have a super sick kid to boot? You're 10 times the woman I am. Hang in there Christa...you are SO loved!!!

The Reed Crew said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. You amaze me with your strength and positive attitude. I'm sure you have your days and hours when it is hard to stay positive like all of us do... but the fact that your attitude and outlook can rebound is amazing!

Jeremy and Ruth said...

wow, hard to stay away from a sick boy, i know, but STAY AWAY!! We love you too much here for you to get REALLY sick,, oh wait,,, never mind! :0) Happy to know your liver is still healthy!! Happy to know you are doing well!!

runningfan said...

Darn it, I was so hopeful that you'd get good news yesterday. I love your fighting attitude! I hope you can feel the strength of all of the people praying for you.

I love that you're listed as Christa Weimer on the program. :) Did you pitch a strike?!

Bonnie Hynes said...

I love the softball story! What a perfect opportunity for you being the crazy softball girl that we all know you are! Tell Lund we're rooting for him, but he can't have any all-curing hugs from his mom, he's just going to have to count on the meds! Love you guys!

All 7 of Us said...

I was thinking about you all day yesterday and I was hoping that the news would be better. Im glad he is moving on to something new though. LOVE the pictures of the softball game, what a fun thing to do to raise awareness! If the menopause crap starts driving you crazy (it did to me) and you need to just download give me a call.

Rose C said...

I'm sorry the news wasn't better. But You are my HERO! No matter what, you make the best of EVERYTHING!!!! I love you so much. I miss you and your whole fam. I know how much you love softball sooooo way cooool on the Dobson High thing!!!!

Farr Family said...

Christa you are my HERO and my INSPIRATION!!! We love you lots! You are always in our thoughts and prayers! We are coming down next weekend. I hope you will be up for a visitor! Let me know!
Kimberly