Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thank you Dr. Pavese, you will be missed!

 I have an amazing plasic surgeon, Dr. Richard Pavese, who has been a great asset in my life. He wouldn't even charge me for my double mastectomy surgery or all my follow-up appointments. He considered breast cancer patients an honor to serve. On one occasion, I was mad at him for filling my spacers too much and causing me pain. I told him (sort of joking...sorta not), that if he filled my spacers up anymore, I would put the needle in his chest and see how he liked it. He turned to Morgan and said, "I am pretty scared of her!"
   The next appointment, Dr. Pavese handed me some papers. He told me that he had done some research about breast cancer and he wanted me to see what he found out. He said that it was a sort of apology for causing me any pain.
   Well, last night Dr. Pavese passed away unexpectedly. He was out for his nightly walk and was hit by a car. I don't know all the details, but I do know that he will be missed by many people here in the Valley. I know I will miss him and his stories of being a boy scout in New York City and having his campouts in the high school gymnasium. He had such a great sense of humor. He even performed a cyst removal for Morgan in his office with a white shirt and tie on. He didn't care that he looked like a mess when it was over. He said, "oh don't worry, that's what stain remover is for.".... such a goof ball!
  I know I will miss you Dr. Pavese and not to be selfish, but you haven't finished my reconstruction yet, so now what???

5 comments:

Grama Karen and Papa Lund said...

Christa, We are so sorry to hear about your doctor. I called Judi and she is sad and also spoke about what a good man he was. He has left his mark in your lives. I did not realize that he did Morgan's cyst. Amazing man. What a blessing to have known him.
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just heard about Dr. Pavese last night from a girlfriend. I started searching online to verify the facts. It's so sad. He was awesome and will be missed by many. On a different note, if you're still looking for someone in the valley, Dr. Sean Lille is amazing too. You can look him up online. He's very well respected.

Shelly said...

I heard about that..I didnt realize he was your surgeon. He sounds like a great man. I hope you can find someone that comes close to equaling his generosity and talent to help you finish off that stupid, stupid crappy reconstruction!!

Anonymous said...

I worked at Dr Pavese's office and I was so touched by your story. His New York personality always made me laugh. He had such dedication to his patients! We are all blessed to have had him in our lives. Hope your doing great in your reconstructive process.

Carrie Evans, RN

Kelly W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.