Friday, February 26, 2010

Catching up on Scouting Activities...

Lund has been really busy lately with his Cub Scout pack. I have been his leader for a couple of years, but now with the "C" word, I am on sabaticol for a little while. The ladies that have taken over for me, Penny and Tanya, are simply AMAZING! They love the boys so much and they are MUCH more organized than I ever was. I am so grateful for them and for Cub Scouts in general because it really does build a lot of character in these little guys!
So, without further adeau, here are the picutures of the Pinewood Derby and a field trip to see how solar power works that I was lucky enough to attend with Lund.
Here are all the cars lined up... Lund's car is the 3rd from the bottom of the picture.
Here is Lund at the starting line with Bryce. The track we have in Bagdad always cracks me up. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that we have a track here at all, but we always have to put it together with chairs and rocks and bricks and such. Someone at the mine made it about a million years ago and one of the cars this year hit a bump on the track and pretty much exploded mid-air. There were tires flying everywhere and it was pretty hillarious.
Lund and his proud dad. They always make the car together and Morgan does such a great job of letting Lund do most of the work and encouraging him along the way. What a great dad!!!! Lund won 3rd place this year and he qualified to go onto Prescott for Regionals, but since he won 1st last year and had the chance to race in the Regionals already, he is letting another boy go in his place. What a sweet kid!!!
These pictures are from our solar power field trip. I learned A LOT about solar power. I am not quite sure the boys retained as much, but I am sure they had a great time. Little known fact for those of you that don't live in Bagdad: People that live outside of Bagdad in the desert use solar power. For the field trip we are only about 11 miles outside of town. (That shows how far in the middle of the desert we live! he he)

Here we have Tony explaining how solar power works to the boys. They look a little stumped if you ask me! I was stumped too, but I still think it is a really cool concept. I would LOVE to get rid of our 500.00/month utility bills!!

2 comments:

Admin said...

Awesome!! I love Cub Scouts too! Your Pinewood Derby track does look hilarious... I bet you had a lot of fun with that! And solar power? Wow, I would love to go on a field trip like that!

Anonymous said...

Christa,
Thanks for the compliments. It means a whole lot coming from you. We have big shoes to fill to keep cubs going and bring even a smidgen of the spirit to cubs that you do. Thanks for posting the pictures. It was so much fun and such a treat to have you with us.
Love ya,
Penny