Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Day in the life of breast cancer...

I just thought I would give you a bit of an idea of how things go in my life since I have entered "the Cancer Zone" which I am sure is really similar to "The Twilight Zone". So here is a day in my life.. I am going to use tomorrow as my example...
First of all, we leave for Phoenix once the kids get home from school today at 5pm. We are trying to cut down costs (cancer is expensive from what I hear), so we will eat leftovers before we hit the road to my sisters house. And here is my day tomorrow (thank you Alisha for watching the kiddos while Morgan and I go do all this stuff)
8:30am Appointment with the Oncologist. This is my first time meeting him so I am hoping that he will give me a better idea of when I will start chemotherapy and if I will have to go through radiation as well.
9:30am check in for my second MRI, this one will be more in depth because of the "abnormal activity" in my left breast
10:40am back to the hospital for an EKG, blood work and a chest x-ray in preparation for my surgery next Tuesday.
Hopefully we will be done by lunch time and then get to spend some time with the kids and their cousins. that would be wonderful!

Just to let you know upcoming events, here is a little synopsis of the next little while...
Tuesday night through Thursday we will be in the Valley at above named appointments and then Thursday we are trying to get Cassidy and Lund to their field trip at the Wildlife Zoo after an appointment with the surgeon.
This Saturday, umm.... November 14th- Morgan's parents get here from Pocatello to help run the Bagdad end of the upcoming surgery.
Next Monday, November 16th-- Morgan and I head down to Phoenix in the evening for "the big event"
Tuesday, November 17th at 6am--- I check into the hospital on Dobson Rd. in Mesa for my double mastectomy and reconstruction. (bye-bye ladies)They are hoping to release me the next day at some point. Then I will head to my parents to recover for a bit in the Valley. I would like to come back home at some point after surgery, but that all depends on my recovery.
Thanksgiving--in the valley this year

7 comments:

Becky Rogers said...

Hey sis-
I know I will be talking to you soon, but just wanted to write and let you know that we are here in any way..we all already have an awesome plan. Our family plan is ANYTHING you tell us to do or even think about asking us to do; we do! I'll see you later today!
Love,
Becky

Happy said...

Hey Johnson family:

How cute is this picture. You are handling this whole incident with GREAT COURAGE!! Thank goodness for the gospel and what it teaches us.

Please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you.

We call daily to submit your families name to our Birmingham Temple for their prayer roll.

Keep your chin up and keep smiling because the whole world will want to see sunshine.

We love you and miss you tons.

Mark and Questa

T. Sipes said...

Sounds like fun times (jk). Seriously, good luck with all of your appointments the next few days. We will keep you guys in our prayers and I will pick Will up Next Tuesday, Nov.17th around noon. If you need anything please let me know.
Love ya

Rogers Family said...

I keep checking your blog to get updates. If you need anything please let us know. We are in the valley too and can help out if you need it. Good luck! You are such a brave woman and you have the greatest family. By the way, I love your picture!!

annebabe said...

Where's some polyjuice potion when you need some? Wouldn't it be great to change into someone else, right about now? Someone who is cancer free? Dang that 30 days of bubbling away in the girls lavatory. You need some pronto! But, I guess the other option is to close your eyes, hold on tight and get through this ordeal with sheer grit and determination. Here's my pep talk: You can do it!!! With the Lord, nothing is impossible. :)

gwen said...

The Haglund's have you in their hearts.
We love you Christa and Morgan

Lydia Hulse said...

who knew that a pair of eyelashes could cause all this trouble! love ya!